Pages

Friday 9 February 2024

Striped Glove Video

 I have finally finished the video on how I sew gloves! I started working on this well over a month ago.

It started out just being about the striped pair, but then I was worried the stripes would make the sewing hard to see, so I also made a plain pair with larger cuffs.

As is usually the case when I make a video, I was so busy filming that I forgot to take progress photos. (I'll probably come back and edit this blog post to have more pictures and links, I just really want to get the video posted tonight now that it's finally finished.)
I also haven't got very good pictures of me wearing them yet, so I'll try to get some later.
I'm so happy with my wee little dragons.











The striped ones are of course inspired by the extant printed striped pair from the MFA collection. (The same gloves that inspired my disastrous first pair 5 years ago.) 
I didn't want to paint people on mine, so I did dragons.
Here's a link to my historical (largely but not entirely 18th century) dragon pinterest board, and another to my glove pinterest board.

French, late 18th century, MFA Boston.
The second, plainer pair is based mainly on the Diderot patterns from 1768, but I have seen similar cuff shapes a lot earlier.

I took the first photo, wore them out and about a few times, and then remembered I hadn't taken any other photos, which is why they're dirtier and more hand shaped in these ones.





And here are the finger measurement diagrams I said I'd post here in the pattern drafting part of the video.





I'd like to come back and edit this post so it's more informative and less disjointed, but for now I hope this will suffice! It's close to midnight and I work tomorrow, and I just need to line up the subtitles before my video is all done. 

Any images in the video that aren't linked here should be in either of the two linked pinterest boards, and the supplies are linked in the video description.

3 comments:

  1. Very impressive work. The gloves fits your fingers perfectly.
    Hugs, Mamoo

    ReplyDelete
  2. So glad I found this. I want to copy a late 19th century pair I own (made by someone in the family) to fit me better and to not wear a pair that is over 100 years old (so much).

    ReplyDelete