|Not happy with the way the front gapes, but hopefully more hooks & bars will fix that.|
It's another commission from Naxius! Thankfully I only had to make one piece of the costume, which still isn't completely done but it was wearable for the con.
|The reference picture he sent me.|
I don't know what the original source is.
I call it the Bullshit Bodice because the design makes NO sense! There's no way to make that neckline smooth all the way around. It has to fasten somewhere! And the scaly panel in the front looks like it's overlapping the other pieces, but on the bottom edge the side bits are clearly overlapping it. That kind of Escher stuff just doesn't work in real life.
Consequently the construction was mostly made up as I went along.
|The crossed out thing says "attached to trousers".|
How is he supposed to sit down if that bulky scale panel is attached?
|The assembled sides, which are 6 pieces each.|
30 each if you count the interfacing and little cutouts.
The front edge has a series of little cutout thingies, which I made by sewing a small piece of plain green woven cotton to the corner, cutting it and turning it in, then stitching another bit of the interfaced knit behind it.
We agreed double lines of machine quilting would be a good choice for the lines on the shoulder piece, but the stuff wrinkled in places, so I ended up having to cut away sections of the cotton backing.
|The binding is hand stitched on both edges because I didn't want to wrinkle the quilting.|
Once the main seams were done I lined it in rayon bemberg and bound the bottom edge in a strip of the green knit.
The front edges were THE WORST!
The only way I could interpret the front meant that part of the shoulder strap thing had to be extremely narrow, and also sit nicely over the edge of the scale panel underneath it. It's fastened somewhat like an 18th century gown front with a scaly stomacher, but with extra ridiculous edges.
The long strip didn't line up at the bottom, so I trimmed it and cut separate reinforcements for the bottom corners.
|One edge bound.|
On the other side you can see part of the buckram sewn to the inside of the edge.
|Adding reinforcement, with the corner binding half sewn on.|
|Not an enjoyable thing to do.|
|I'm really proud of how smooth I got this part.|
|Nax helped sew some of these on too.|
|Who designed this terrible nonsense?|
Nax was happy with it and it was wearable, which was the important thing.
|The front doesn't look too bad from this angle.|
|There wasn't a green binding on the bottom in the reference picture,|
but I don't know how else you'd finish that edge.
The costume still needs leg bracers, and he has to add buckles to the gloves and make proper belts.
He bought the shirt and pants, and made the crown out of worbla. The gold paint he used matches the silk extremely well!
I haven't seen the outfit all together in person, but here are some pictures from the con that other people took. Apologies to the people I cropped out of some of them!
It's looking a bit rumpled after a weekend of wear, but hopefully we can stiffen the bit at the top of the stomacher so it doesn't do that anymore.