I used to have a couple of sleeveless cotton nightgowns, but they wore out, so this summer I made 3 new ones. One of the ones that wore out is the nightgown I altered and drew monsters on a few years ago (The top part wore out, but I still have the bottom part with the monsters) and the other was a very similar one in thin cotton.
It was ripped in a few places, and I cut it up and traced those pieces to get my pattern.
The crescent shape at the bottom is how much I cut out of the sides of the skirt pieces where the armpit is. The original had a small button placket in front, but I didn't think that was necessary so I just lowered the neckline enough to make it fit over my head.
|My final pattern.|
|It's a bit hard to see, but there's staystitching here.|
|The bias binding I made for the neck and arm holes.|
|Bodice with shoulder seams and neck hole finished.|
|Gathers pinned and sewn to bodice.|
|Long rectangle pinned to gathered edge.|
|I hand basted it first, because it's such a slinky material.|
|Making bias binding.|
|I went around all the little squares while felling this bit.|