Pages

Wednesday 4 December 2013

Edwardian Photo Album #1, Part 3

It's almost the end of term.
I have a lot of school work to catch up on and it isn't leaving much time for my own sewing projects. I therefore present part three of Edwardian Photo Album #1. (See part 1 here and part 2 here)
Click any of these for a larger view.

A dog in a hat. Is it a boater? A bowler? It's hard to tell from this angle.


What is going on here? These two ladies appear to be casually leaning against some invisible surface. They can't be leaning into the wind, because it's quite obviously blowing in the opposite direction. The dog looks suspicious.
A date! Dec", 25" 21
I love big coats. I've never seen one with a row of buttons like that before.
More ladies out in the snow, just like in the previous installment. I still have no idea what they are doing.
This look like a one-horse-open-sleigh. All these pictures of warmly bundled up people make me want to sew a coat.



An actual log cabin. Cool.
Dirt, snow, and trees. Why did this need to be photographed?
Three hunters, two dead deer, and the corner of a log cabin. Probably the same log cabin pictured earlier. Much more interesting than the previous photo.
A class photo from a very small schoolhouse.

A lady with an exceptionally bizarre hat sitting in a carriage with her cousin (see bottom of post).
I really like the button detail on the front of the dress worn by the very stern looking lady on the left.



This dog picture is very nicely composed.
This next picture shocked and amazed me. It appears to be a group of people having a fancy dress party. My favorite is the lady in the black dress and sunglasses. I wish I had a clearer picture of her costume.
Did you see the shocking and amazing part?
Here is a close up.
This lady is wearing a calash! I am both extremely jealous of her for possessing such a thing, and annoyed with her for wearing something that must be, at the very least, 70 years old. The Victorians and Edwardians really liked wearing 18th century clothes to fancy dress parties, often with horrible alterations, and it makes me mad.


These last five pictures weren't glued on, just tucked in the back cover. They all have writing on the back! Yay!
This one just says "13". Not much information there.

Miss Biggerstaff & me starting on our vacation
Aug 2, 1912
I love the little line of buttons down her skirt, and the fact that their jackets look almost exactly the same as men's jackets. These are nice, sensible traveling clothes.
Camp life. Cleaning potatoes.
You can also see This is the life written on this side.
No date on this one, but I'm guessing 1920's.
Where we camped last year 1920.
Stanley, Idaho

This is my cousin Jim Lockhart and I
 taken when I was home.
He is with the Mc Gill hospital in France now.
If he's working at a hospital in France, this must be from WWI. Fascinating.
But what the heck is up with her hat? It looks like a folded napkin from a fancy restaurant.
There were two copies of this photo, and there are copies of several others too. I am not going to leave any of them out.

And that's it for the Edwardian album. The next old document I post will be Victorian.

6 comments:

  1. Mira, I think that the 7th picture, the ladies in the snow are pulling on molasses toffee. We used to pull toffee candies when I was young. When the mix was still very warm we would take a large piece and stretch it and fold it repeatedly and the final result was a long and thinner piece that we would cut as candy. It would then harden. We made our own candies and fudge. The only time we bought candy was at Christmas.

    I could be wrong with the activity in this picture but it was a practice of those days.

    JB

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That could be it! I wondered what the loop thing in the ladies hand was, but now that I look at again, it does look like a piece of folded toffee. This explanation makes perfect sense, thank you!

      Delete
  2. Another wonderful look into Canadian lives. Thank you!

    From a dress perspective, do you notice the preponderance of jacket/blouse/skirt combinations, rather than dresses? Separates: much more practical. However, many jackets, like those in the beginning of vacation photo, required tailoring. I own such a jacket and it's a marvel of construction. Padding and everything.

    Very best,

    Natalie

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes! Lots of shirtwaists and skirts. It does make much more sense for a rural setting. Wearing gauzy dresses on that farm would have been a nightmare.

      I also noticed that in Victorian album #1 there wasn't a single bodice point to be seen. All the bodices were either very long, or had straight, high waists. I wonder if that was a practical thing too. It's hard to tell what kind of lives they led though, since all those ones were studio pictures.

      Delete
  3. I think in the picture with the "invisible fence" there is actually a thin wire fence that the ladies are leaning on. No photoshop back then to remove fences! :) These pictures are great. Thanks for sharing!

    Best,
    Quinn

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you! There does appear to be a thin, chicken wire sort of fence there, I hadn't noticed. I just figured they were being silly and pretending to lean on something that wasn't actually there.

      Delete