Pages

Monday 1 September 2014

Victorian Photo Album #2, Part 1

I have been lazy about blogging this summer, and I apologize. It's been a while since I posted any of the old photograph collection, so here is the first half of Victorian photo album #2.
It's the same size as the first album, but with a green cover instead of a brown one.
Unfortunately, there are no names written anywhere in this album.



What a nice crocheted shawl. Her bonnet and brooch look very interesting too.

Pagoda sleeves! These must be from the 1850's.



Poor fellow. His clothes don't fit at all.




A sloppily colorized soldier with excellent whiskers.





Fabulous! The very picture of 1870's over-the-top-ness.
And her earrings match her pendant!
That is all for now. I am still working on the frock coat, which should be finished relatively soon.

6 comments:

  1. I wonder who all those people are. Nobody looks happy in those photos. Life was taken very seriously. The outfit the little boy is wearing looks very interesting.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Just because they have stern expressions doesn't mean they weren't happy. People did lots of fun and silly things in the 19th century, they just look serious in photos because the camera exposures were fairly long.

      And what photo are you referring to? There are no little boys in this post.

      Delete
    2. Maybe Mamoo was referring to photo 10. My first impression was of a boy too.
      I also noticed most of the subjects have colourized rosy cheeks.

      Delete
  2. Thank you for posting these photos. One of my favourite things is to look at old photos of people and buildings. My father dug out a photograph of my great uncle who was killed in the First World War and it had pride of place when we extinguished all the lights in the house except for one candle burning (to commemorate the 'lamps going out on the outbreak of the First World War"). My great Uncle has no known grave and his name is on the Menin Gate. Although born British, I think he emigrated to Canada and joined the Canadian Expeditionary Force. Natalie

    ReplyDelete
  3. Wow. Some of those people (many of whom would be in my family tree) are pretty scary looking. And what a variety of faces. The woman with the pagoda sleeves looks like a man in drag. But I don't think they did that very much in those days.

    We really have to get these to my father to see if he knows who any of them are. If they are unidentified, it's kind of like having images of ghosts around. Odd. People should be spanked for not identifying who is in a photo album. Bit late for that in this case.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, I am also very annoyed with whoever knew the names of these people and didn't write them down.
      There certainly is an enormous variety of faces. I don't see much resemblance between them, or to family members alive today.

      Delete